Thursday 23 June 2016

Starting Out As A Writer Part 1

When I first started writing my first book, I couldn't stop. It just flowed out and I kept writing until I finished it. After editing, I started pitching to agents and publishers. Getting rejected can be one of the hardest things. At the beginning, I was excited about the rejection e-mails. Why, you're probably asking, was I excited about rejection e-mails?




Well, one of them had to be an acceptance e-mail. One of the 22 e-mails had to say yes. No one said yes, but they were positive rejections. I was mildly surprised. After trying for a while, I decided to self-publish it. I edited again and published it on Amazon  through Kindle Direct Publishing. At the beginning there was some traction and then a few sales. A few months later, the excitement was over and the sales dropped. For a coule of years, there were hardly any sales. It was very discouraging, and soul destroying. I didn't stop, I couldn't stop writing. I had to carry on.



It was an odd day when I had the idea of my second book. It came to me at work on a day when I felt like writing a dark story. When I went on my lunch break, I had to write down the ideas in my head. I started getting really excited about it and couldn't get it out of my head. When I got  home, I dreamt of the story I had to write. That was the start of the second book.

In the second part of this blog, I'll continue my story as a writer.

Good Night xxx :)

No comments:

Post a Comment